- Listen Live
MATTHEW WEST-DAY ONE
Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care, a Medicare-certified member of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, announced today a series of free support group meetings to help individuals who have recently lost a loved one find productive ways to heal and cope during the holiday season.
The grief support meetings will be conducted on an ongoing basis each Tuesday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. inside the Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care administrative building located at 5550 S. Jones Blvd. The meetings are open to any member of the community who has been affected by loss and desires support.
Bereavement professionals at Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care will be on hand at each gathering to provide counseling services to community members who are struggling after the loss of a loved one.
“Participating in celebrations may trigger an avalanche of emotions after losing someone special,” said Candis Armour, R.N., executive director of Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care. “Holidays like Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year’s Day can be difficult, especially within the first year of losing someone.”
Chris Kopoew, bereavement counselor at Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care, points out that it’s normal for those in mourning to not feel like celebrating.
“People shouldn’t hide from their grief, but find healthy ways to express it,” Kopoew said. “Getting together with others who have experienced a similar loss can be reassuring. It’s comforting to share concerns, fears and tears with people who can truly identify with that pain. Participating in a grief support group provides a sense of connection and camaraderie. No one should have to grieve alone.”
Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care offers the following 10 tips to help individuals who are mourning:
1. Give yourself permission to grieve. Grieving is a natural process.
2. Retell the story of your loved one.
3. Keep a broad perspective and realize that, spiritually and emotionally, your loved one will always be with you.
4. Be judicious and selective with your social activities. If you don’t feel like attending a party, skip it.
5. Set aside time to mourn during the holidays and don’t try to bottle up your feelings. Take time for reflecting.
6. Accept help and support from family, friends and neighbors.
7. Honor your loved one with a special ceremony or other symbolic gesture that follows your religious or spiritual traditions. This can be something as simple as lighting a holiday candle in his or her memory.
8. Don’t feel pressured. Make decisions that feel right to you, and accept that holidays are a part of the mourning process.
9. Remember that the experience of grief is unique to every person. No emotions are right or wrong.
10. Share your experience with other people who are grieving. Know that you aren’t the only person going through a tough time.
About Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care
Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care, a Medicare-certified member of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization, is devoted to helping people live with dignity and comfort by providing trusted and professional hospice care in the Las Vegas community. Focused on enhancing the quality of life for patients and their loved ones, Solari's exemplary team of physicians, pharmacists, registered nurses, certified nursing aides, social workers, administrative staff, counselors and volunteers are specially trained to offer the most compassionate and comforting care designed for each patient's unique needs.
Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care is proud to be part of the HealthCare Partners Nevada family.
For more information about Las Vegas Solari Hospice Care or to learn more about Solari’s weekly Grief Support Group, call 702-870-0000, visit www.solarihospice.com, follow @SolariHospice on Twitter or “like” us on Facebook.